Friday, September 3, 2010

Mahiya in Telugu

Mahiya is a Punjabi folk poetry format!
I came to know of  it beacuse of a friend who gave me a book of Mahiyas in Urdu!
Interestingly, I read and write Urdu!

I wrote some Mahiyas in Telugu long back and they are available on my site.
Some poet freinds like Sri Sudhama liked them.

Recently I wrote few more Mahiyas.
In a Mahiya there are three lines.
The first and last lines rhyme.
They even make a couplet.
The middle line adds punch to the piece.

I cannot think of translating these pieces!
The word play and pun will be lost!!

Here are my Mahiyas!!

కొత్త మాహియాలు


కాకర చేదు ఎంతో ఇష్టం
                సంగతి చెలిసిన వారికి
బతుకు చేదు కూడా ఇష్టం




మాటల పందిరి కింద
                మల్లెలుండవేమో గానీ
అబద్ధాలు దొరుకును వంద




అందానికి ఆంగ్లం బ్యూటీ
                    ఏ భాషయినా ఒకటే
ఆ పేరున జరుగును లూటీ




పక్కింట్లో అమ్మాయుంటే మాట్లాడాలని ఒక సరదా
              అంతటితో సరిపోతుందా
పక్కింట్లో అబ్బాయిలతో పోట్లాడాలని ఒక సరదా




పంచుతుంటె తరుగును కలిమి
                  చిరునవ్వులు చిందిస్తుంటే
చిత్రంగా కలుగును చెలిమి

Tell me frankly what do you feel!
#######

No comments: