Friday, March 6, 2009

Tuka Mhane: A Transcreation

Saint Tukaram and Abhangs.

The name Tukaram brings to any mind, a picture of man who was more a devotee than an intelligent man. The odd films made about him also failed in bringing the intelligent words that formed the substance of his Abhangs. Like Purandara and other Dasa in Kannada, many scholars in Marathi composed what are called as Abhangs. These are a kind of verses and are amenable to be sung to music. Bhimsen Joshi made them immortal by lending them his voice. These days Carnatic singers like Aruna Sayeeram, OSArun and others are adding them in their concerts. An Abhang has its own charm in telling a beautiful idea in only a few words.
Nmadev. Samarth Ramadasa are the others who composed Abhangs.
I was stuck with the wonderful contents of Tuka’s compositions. Like all classical music is not just devotion, all abhangs are not just about God alone. Read the following as an example.


Tuka mhane: తుకావాణి
आम्हां घरी धन शब्दांचीच रत्नें शब्दांचीच शस्त्रें यत्न करुं
మా యింట్లో ధనమంటే మాటలనే రత్నాలే, నా ప్రయత్నాలకంతా పనిముట్లు మాటలే
शब्द चि आमुच्या जीवांचे जीवन शब्दें वांटूं धन जनलोकां
మాటలే నా జీవనానికి జీవం, ధనంగా నేను లోకానికి పంచేదీ మాటలే
तुका म्हणे पाहा शब्द चि हा देव शब्द चि गौरव पूजा करुं
మాటలే దేవుడు మరి చూడు, అంటాడు తుకా, మాటలతోనే ఆ దేవుని పూజ

Translation (by Dilip Chitre, the renowned Marathi poet):

Words are the only Jewels I possess
Words are the only Clothes that I wear
Words are the only food That sustains my life
Words are the only wealth I distribute among people
Says Tuka Witness the Word He is God
I worship Him With my words

మరొక అనువాదం.

If you open my jewel-box, you will only find words
If you raid my castle, only my words will defend me
All I need to live upon, is the magic of words
All my charity is done through my words
Behold The Word: The Word is my only God
Worship It: it is the beginning, it is the end


శబ్దం అంటే ఏ చప్పుడైనా కావచ్చు. కానీ తుకారాం అంటున్నది మాత్రం అర్థవంతమాన మాటల గురించి. భూషలుగావు మర్త్యులకు భూరిమయాంగద తారహారముల్ అన్న మాట మనమెరిగినదే. అదే మాటను సంత్ తుకారాం అంతే అందంగా చెప్పిన సంగతి అందరికీ తెలియదు. వాగ్భూషణం భూషణం, అంటే మాటలే మంచి నగలు, అలంకారాలూనూ. అందుకే తుకారాం నా దగ్గర ధనమంటూ ఉంటే అది నా మాటలే అంటున్నాడు. శబ్దాలే నా ఆయుధాలన్నాడాయన. మరి అనువాదకులు దిలీప్ చిత్రే గారు దాన్ని వస్త్రాలుగా ఎందుకు చెప్పినట్లు. రెండవ అనువాదంలో మాత్రం నన్ను నేను రక్షించుకునేందుకు నాకున్న ఆయుధాలు మాటలు అన్నారు. నాకు అర్థమయింది మాత్రం తుకా ప్రయత్నాలన్నీ మాటల ఆధారంగా జరుగుతాయని. (నేనూ అంతే. నాకు మాటలు తప్ప మరే పనీరాదు) అంత పుష్కలంగా, బలంగా ఉండే మాటలను ఎంత పంచితే అంత పెరుగుతాయి తప్ప తరగవు. అందుకే తుకా మాటలను పంచానంటాడు.తెలుగువారికి తుకారాం అనగానే సినిమా అందులోని పాటలు గుర్తొస్తాయి. కానీ తుకారాం గొప్ప తాత్వికుడనీ గొప్ప విషయాలు చెప్పినవాడనీ, అందరికీ తెలియదు. సినిమా తీసినవారికి అంతకన్నా తెలిసినట్టు లేదు.

No comments: